Schools and Program Leaders
Montessori Programs implementing Scientific & Medical Pedagogy to aid more children!
Welcome to the MMPI Schools and Program Leaders' Portal!
We are so glad you are here! This website is being built to support you as you work to enhance the development and inclusion of children with disabilities and differences at your Montessori school or program. If you are a Principal, Administrator, Director, Head of School or program leader at a Montessori school, Montessori Therapy Clinic, Montessori-based homeschool, children’s hospital, orphanage or any pediatric institutional setting with an interest in Montessori education or Montessori therapy, then this portal is for you. We are all working to give the gift of Dr. Montessori’s work to more children with physical, emotional, social, and intellectual differences. Montessori education is the path to both nurturing strengths and addressing weaknesses for all children’s diverse abilities.
Barbara Luborsky, OTR/L, and Montessorian, Catherine Nehring Massie, have been collaborating for almost a decade researching, observing and implementing inclusive Montessori programs. On this website you will find featured (over time) a wide variety of outstanding examples of inclusive Montessori schools, Montessori schools that serve children with a particular disability exceptionally well, Montessori-based Special Education Programs, Montessori-based therapeutic programs, Montessori-based therapies, and Montessori-based pediatric programs at hospitals and orphanages. What all of these programs have in common and what makes all of them so effective is an integrated medical-educational approach that is holistic, therapeutic, and habilitative for the child and their family. This website will also help you become aware of the long history of these medically-enhanced Montessori Programs and feel connected to a community of professionals dedicated to:
- Medically-enhanced Montessori approaches
- Collaboration and teaming of teachers and medical professionals
- Family support and empowered roles in their child's development
- Teacher support and rejuvenation
Dr. Maria Montessori wrote in 1915 (San Francisco Call and Post) that she attended the 1898 pedagogic congress in Turino as a consequence of her observation: “Between physicians and teachers, at that time, there was an absolute separation; they never met in their social and scientific work.” [Montessori, Maria, The California Lectures of Maria Montessori: Collected Speeches and Writings, 1915, The Clio Montessori Series, p.260.] Her astute observation made in the late 1800’s remains effectively unchanged in the 2000’s: children today are either treated medically or taught using educational methods developed for typical children, they are not approached holistically—with a few remarkable exceptions that we will be showcasing on this website! Through the Montessori schools and programs that we Showcase, and through connecting with other Montessori school/program leaders, you will learn how many others have made this medical-educational partnership and collaboration work.
Montessori schools and medical professionals can partner in supporting the success of children facing many types of challenges in their young lives to achieve Dr. Montessori’s immense vision for a regeneration of mankind:
“This is the field, therefore, in which the culture of the human race can really and practically be undertaken; and a joint labour of physician and teacher will sow the seed of a future hygiene, adapted to achieve perfection in man, both as a species and as a social unit.” [Montessori, Maria, Pedagogical Anthropology, 1913, p. 37]
This is the work of the Montessori Medical Partnership for Inclusion—join us NOW!
Montessori inclusion-capacity building begins NOW
We are opening this website with a small selection of resources that we believe you and your staff will find useful in your work with children who have learning differences. Our vision, however, for this inclusion website is that Montessori educators and medical providers across the globe will contribute many insights, successful practices, and a wealth of resources to support your important work. We are a growing resource center at this time.
Begin exploring our site NOW and here is what you will find:
- Grand Opening Showcase Feature: Visit our Inclusion Program Showcase to find perhaps the earliest scientific study of Montessori education for children with disabilities.
- Resources of interest and relevance to your work: Find current articles and research in Hot Topics, introduce yourself to the Montessori and medical communities through our Inclusion Forums, and read a variety of Articles about Montessori-based Special Education practices. More resources will be added each month.
- Find out how you can get involved NOW in advocacy, capacity-building, and supporting Montessori programs that are including more diverse populations of children.
Be sure to refer your Montessori teachers and families to us to learn more about a Montessori approach to Special Education.
What’s the next step?
Join-When you join the Montessori Medical Partnership for Inclusion (MMPI), you not only get access to all of the resources on our website, you can support our efforts to keep adding new and updated resources to benefit Montessorians and children across the globe.
Follow- Keep up with news, new information and resources posted by the MMPI Community! Simply click the Follow button and submit your email address so we can let you know when important information and resources you need are posted, when Showcase features a new school/program, or when new Featured Articles have been put up for your interests.
Submit-Articles, videos, resources, and ideas to share with the community and benefit other Montessori inclusion programs around the world.
Join NOW and enjoy free membership until January 2019.
This Montessori inclusion community resource center will be available to promote and enhance inclusion worldwide. In order to support this important community service, we will need to charge a small membership to cover the cost of building and maintaining this website. Join NOW and you can participate for FREE until January 2019, when individual memberships will cost $20.00/year.
Of course, if you are really passionate about building the practice of Montessori inclusion to benefit children with special needs around the world, you are WELCOME to contribute more to support MMPI—money, resources, photos and videos, and more. Your school can fund raise to support this important work.
Thank you! Click here to JOIN. Click here to DONATE.
Enjoy your visit, and be sure to come back monthly to the Montessori School/Program Leaders Portal to see what else we have for you!
Tell us what you need
What kind of challenges are you facing in your inclusive Montessori school program?
What kinds of resources would you find helpful?
- Professional development for your staff on specific disability types;• Collaboration with medical specialists—Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Behavior Specialists, Trauma Therapists, etc;
- Supports and supportive environments to meet special needs;
- Partnering with parents and families;
- Inclusion support staff;
- Inclusion policies and procedures;
- Protecting your teachers from burn-out;
- Making sure that the School/Program Leader (that’s YOU) is not living in overwhelm;
- Creating an inclusion culture;
Ways to communicate with MMPI:
1) Introduce yourself on our Montessori School/Program Leaders Forum and tell us what you need to enhance your inclusion program and support your staff.
2) Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
3) Participate in MMPI Surveys that will periodically be posted on our website. If you Join or Follow Us, then you will get a notification of our Surveys.
4) Call Catherine Massie at +1 240-385-6338.
Not yet a Member?
Send us your email and we'll keep you informed of our progress and new resources.
We promise we won't bombard you with emails!